Sunday, February 7, 2010

Quarterfinals: Green Bay Packers vs. Kansas City Chiefs

1.  Green Bay Packers vs. 9.  Kansas City Chiefs

This side of the bracket continues to be a matchup of the small market powerhouses. After knocking off Buffalo,the Chiefs face the most notorious of the small-town phenomenons in the Green Bay Packers. The difference this time is that with the small town comes a lot of history and big-time national exposure, not to mention a #1 seed. But, being a true Packers fan isn't an easy task. Am I up for the challenge?

Green Bay Packers 

Pros -
  • You won't find a better team history in the NFL (but you might find on just as good in Pittsburgh).
  • The uniforms. I'm a sucker for the green/yellow combo.
  • Incredible fan-base. I won't live long enough to see a non-sellout at Lambeau.
  • The only team actually owned by its fans.
Cons -
  • I will absolutely freeze in Lambeau field. I'm border-line convinced that my blood would turn to slush.
  • If Southwest doesn't fly to a City, that's gonna be a problem.
  • I'm always one of the "non-stock-owning" fans. I'll never have an answer for that trump card in a discussion with another fan.
Kansas City Chiefs

Pros -
  • Also a great fan base that has had less to root for that the Packers.
  • Persuasive responses via e-mails/comments from the fans and
  • Any team that shares its colors with Hulk Hogan is o.k. by me.
  • Kansas City's location isn't normally a strength, but compared to Green Bay? It's like Vegas.
Cons -
  • Comparatively speaking, the team's history doesn't look too great.
  • They traded away Jared Allen…
  • I'm still not sure if it's in Kansas or Missouri…
Verdict:

What's the cost of cheering for a winner? Would you give up your time to watch them week in and week out? Absolutely? Will you give your emotion well-being to ride the rollercoaster of fandom? Sure. Will you give your money to travel to distant parts of the county just to \catch them live once a year or so? No question. Would you sit in sub-zero temperatures, knowing that your toes may never have their full flexibility that they enjoyed pre-frostbite, wondering at what temperature blood actually freezes? Umm…

I'm sure Green Bay's a lovely town. Here's the problem, I can't get there. OK, I can get there, but it's going to require a flight, a car rental with unlimited mileage, and then I'm going to have to pay a ridiculous amount for a ticket to sit in single digit temps and snow. I'm just going to say it…I'm not man enough to be a true Green Bay Packer fan.

Kansas City Chiefs Stays Hot

3 comments:

  1. I've got a good perspective on this one, I think. I say that because I grew up in Wisconsin as a huge Packers fan and I've now lived in Kansas City for five years, where I've become a mild Chiefs fan but am still a Packers fan at heart.

    Both teams have fabulously loyal fan bases and great game day experiences. Chiefs fans make Arrowhead a fantastic place, which is astonishing considering it's an ugly cement bowl stuck in a massive, ugly parking lot in the east side of Kansas City, which isn't exactly nice. On the other hand, Green Bay is a magical little town on gameday and much more scenic and the beauty of Lambeau far surpasses Arrowhead.

    Your travel issue isn't that big a deal - Southwest flies to Milwaukee now and that's only a 2.5 hour drive up to Lambeau. Tons of people do that drive for every home game, so you wouldn't be alone on the highway after games.

    The history of the Packers is what really sets it apart though...85+ years of NFL history, and nobody except the Bears can match that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At you least you admit the problem (not being man enough). That's always the first step.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I keep it honest here. I don't know anything about cars, I'm the opposite of "handy", and I'm not man enough to sit in single digit temperatures. I am what I am.

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear your thoughts on who is the right (or wrong) team for me. In order to keep SWF family friendly, please avoid the use of profanity.