Sunday, February 7, 2010

Quarterfinals: Pittsburght Steelers vs. Denver Broncos

2. Pittsburgh Steelers vs. 6. Denver Broncos

The SWF Playoffs continue with the Steelers taking on AFC foe the Denver Broncos. Two teams with good histories, strong fanbases, and young coaches.

Pittsburgh Steelers
Pros -
- 6 Super Bowl Titles. You can't really argue with that.
- Coaching abilities aside, Mike Tomlin is the coolest coach in the NFL. Hands down.
- Rabid, passionate fan-base
- The epitome of a well-run sports team. The consistency starts with the Rooney family and works its way down.

Cons -
- True Steelers fans are among the NFL's best…but along with winning comes a lot of fringe fans. The Steelers bandwagon may be full.
- Pittsburgh is a great American city full of good, hardworking people. But I'm not aware of any ski slopes or snow lodges in Pittsburgh
- No response to my letter…heartbreaking.

Denver Broncos -

Pros -
• Great winter vacation spot. A city I'd love to go to even if there was no football involved.
• Not as many Super Bowl Titles as the Steelers, but a solid team history thanks to Mr. Elway.
• An underrated, loyal fan-base.
• Knowshon Moreno. The guy is fun to watch.

Cons -
• Josh McDaniels may turn out to be a good coach, but do you really want to cheer for him over Tomlin?
• Those colors...still bad.
• Also failed to respond to my letter.

The Verdict:
There are a million good things you can say about the Steelers organization. It's class from the top down, and has set the precedent in how an organization should be run. It's got a unrivaled tradition, an incredible fanbase, and is one of those teams that can be having a .500 season, but if you beat them it's still a big deal. There's a reason they battled the Packers for the #1 score in the rankings all year.

But I don't think I can pick the Steelers. It's too easy of a choice. Of course if you're rating teams the Steelers are going to come out on top. The most Super Bowls, legendary players and coaches, one of the 2 largest fan-bases, it's just too easy. The true fans of Pittsburgh define what passionate, loyal fandom is all about and few cities intertwine the personality of their city with that of their team. That's bigger than picking a team based off a scoring system (and I'll be honest, my gut's just not with them).

I've extolled the virtues of Denver previously, and those still hold true.

The Broncos in the upset...

2 comments:

  1. Just pick a team already...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh....Single White Fan:

    I say PITTSBURGH STEELERS !!!!

    There IS many many places to ski in the Pgh area. Seven Springs Ski Resort !! I went there like every weekend when I lived in the Burgh.

    I am the person that said I would make sure you are equipped with a Terrible Towel when you choose the Steelers.

    You will NOT go wrong being a Steeler Fan. We are going to do better next season.

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear your thoughts on who is the right (or wrong) team for me. In order to keep SWF family friendly, please avoid the use of profanity.