Thursday, February 25, 2010

Single White Fan Seeks NFL Team...

It started with a void, a 26 year old American male without a team to root for in America's biggest sport... 

That led to a letter, a plea for the 31 NFL teams to make their case as to why they were the team for me...

While the letters were in the mail, a system was developed, a blueprint scoring, ranking, and differentiating the contenders...

The ball began to roll.  Teams were scored and ranked on tradition, location, uniforms, fans, the current team, intangibles, and their weekly performances...

Meanwhile, I checked the mail, and checked the mail, and checked the mail...

Then it happened.  An envelope with a logo and the anticipation and mystery of what was inside...

Then another letter came...and another...and another...and they kept coming...

Somewhere along the way, people began to notice...

First it was Sports Illustrated, then it was ESPN, then Rick and Bubba,  then the WJOX Roundtable, then the Times Daily,  then The Birmingham News, and then the Alabama Alumni Magazine...

Then the teams' fans made their cases, some inviting me to join the mayhem, some advising me to run the other way,  and some passionately pleading for respect...

One team went above and beyond to make their case, writing their own letter that capture what this was all about (as well as throwing in some swag for good measure).  They invited me to their place, and I accepted...

Then came the hard part...the cuts.  The first 2 were eliminated, then 2 more,  and so on,  and so on...

Then came the playoffs, and we went from 12...to 8, to 4, and now to 2....

And here we are...Kansas City Chiefs vs. Arizona Cardinals.  Both have made their case, both have survived the cuts, and both have their pros and their cons.  They're alike in some ways, both often struggling more than succeeding, both transitioning toward the future, and both, well, wearing red.  In other ways, they're completely different.  One is the pride its city while the other works to get their city behind them.  One roster has its share of stars while the other is building from youth.  Either team would make a great choice and its a shame I can't just root for both.

Things have gotten a little behind schedule, and for that I apologize.  But, we're close...really close, and by this time next week, I will have an NFL fan to root for.  Can I really just become a die-hard fan overnight?  No, but I can work at it.  I can follow the team, I can cheer for them year in and year out, and eventually the losses are going to start to sting and the victories are going to get sweeter.  I'll get there.

So to anyone who has kept up with the search and visited the site once, occasionally, or regularly, Thank You.  I hope you've enjoyed reading along a fraction as much as I've enjoyed writing it.

To anyone who has commented or e-mailed, Thank You.  I have read every comment, every e-mail, every tweet, every facebook message and I've appreciated every one of them (even if I've failed to respond).  I'd like to think I could write as convincing of cases for my teams as you all have for yours.

This has been a lot of fun and been one of the more memorable experiences I will ever have.  I had no idea if a single team would even respond, and still cannot believe I somehow ended up getting noticed by Sports Illustrated and interviewed by ESPN.  To those of you who have asked "what happens to the blog after you pick your team?", well, I'm not sure yet.  Maybe I'll keep it up and running and share what it's like to be a first year fan of a team.  We'll see...

So now, it's on to the moment of truth.  I hope you'll check back next week as I make the final decision and commit for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to the team I will spend the rest of my life supporting.  It's time to tie the knot...

4 comments:

  1. Shut it down - change the rules! Sell Out!! Use this platform to raise money for a charity (like cancer research for the NYC marathon - I've heard) State that whichever fanbase can raise the most money - they win. You get a team and an automatic entry to the marathon. Let's go Spee-ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an Alabama fan from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada, I wish you great luck with your choosing of the team. I also believe you choose your team and SUPPORT them in good and bad years. I'm disappointed you didn't choose my team, Oakland Raiders ( with one of the greatest Alabama QB's in history, Ken Stabler) but that's the way the football bounces. At least that's what Al Davis tells me.

    If by chance you ever venture to the Great White North I have 3 suggestions for you. First, Canadian University football. While obviously not as big as the NCAA it is very exciting and we're very passionate about it. I am biased but if you want a choose a team look no further than the University of Saskatchewan Huskies.

    Secondly, I'm sure you heard of the CFL. There's this little community owned team called the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Former Alabama standout Eddie Lowe played many great years of middle linebacker for us.
    Lastly I wouldn't be Canadian if I didn't recommend a hockey team. The Montreal Canadiens have set the standard that all other hockey teams try to match. Their history is second to none.

    I've enjoyed reading your blog and again good luck in the meantime... GO Raiders, Expos, Canadiens, Roughriders, Huskies

    The Fastman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chiefs Chiefs Chiefs...Don't be a sell out and pick the Cardinals. They are trying to buy the publicity that comes with your site. The true and consistent fan base in KC should pull you to us. With the Cardinals you have no where to go, but down. Pick a team with a future.

    Chiefs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an Alabama fan/alumnus currently in med school in Grenada, I say pull the upset and go with the Chiefs. Even though their main product from Alabama hasn't had the best showing there, you just can't go with the Cardinals. They're trying too hard. I'm sure it was a fun experience, but I think, deep down, you know you can't commit to their program. Plus, maybe if you choose the Chiefs, you'll figure out if it's in Kansas or Missouri. Good luck. Roll Tide. Go Braves. Robert Horry ALWAYS saves the day.

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear your thoughts on who is the right (or wrong) team for me. In order to keep SWF family friendly, please avoid the use of profanity.