Thursday, February 18, 2010

Semifinals: Baltimore Ravens vs. Kansas City Chiefs

We continue to fly along at a brisk pace here (right...) but it's time for the semis. I know I'm going into broken record mode, but for anyone still reading this, I sincerely apologize for the lack of updates. Since no team decided to put me on the payroll for this, I'm forced to make a living off my day job, which unfortunately involve a thing known as tax season. In my attempt to keep the unemployment numbers down, something's had to give...

But what we've started, we will finish. Which brings us to where we are today, the semi-finals....and for our first match-up

4.  Baltimore Ravens vs. 9. Kansas City Chiefs


These 2 have been a little bit of a surprise to this point. Neither is traditional power, neither is particularly close by, and neither is necessarily one of the first teams that come to mind when thinking of an NFL team to root for. Still, they've made their respective case in various categories and made strong cases as to why they're deserving of fandom. But, one's got to go. Let's review what these guys are bringing to the table...


Baltimore Ravens

Pros
  • I'm not ashamed at all to wear purple. In fact I encourage it. Show your royalty.
  • I respect the fans who waited it out until Baltimore got a team again. I know it wasn't the prettiest situation in which a team was brought back, but you can't blame Baltimore for that.
  • A fellow Bama alum at GM, so you know things are well run
  • A better-late-than-never response.
Cons
  • OK, I've been hard on Baltimore, especially considering I've never been there. I'm partly joking considering my own experience with the city involved Stringer Bell and Omar, but these are facts: it's not nearby and it is cold
  • The Ray Lewis factor
  • Joe Flacco's unibrow


Kansas City Chiefs


Pros
  • A terrific fan-base that shows up even wen the team doesn't
  • Legendary tailgating and bbq
  • Some of the best and most convincing e-mails/comments of any fan-base
  • A good, early response with a little bit of a personal touch
Cons
  • Haven't exactly established themselves as a traditional power, or even contender
  • Kanas City isn't in my top 10 cities to spend a winter weekend
  • Some young talent? Sure. Are they going to be winning any time soon? We'll see...
The Verdict:


This one isn't easy. Both teams have fanbases I'd be proud to be a part of, both teams have some major strengths, and both are imperfect enough where a full commitment will have its challenges. But one team's fanbase has made a more compelling case.

Throughout the search, despite not having the best scores and multiple appearances in the Bottom 10, I've heard from the Chiefs fans consistently. You can tell what it means to them to be Chiefs fans when they extoll the virtues of a Sunday at Arrowhead and share their optimism for the years to come. You can tell there are years of loyalty behind these emails and they're not going to let a few years of losing change that. Consider me persuaded. I'm intrigued by the stadium's atmosphere, the pride of the small market franchise, and a loyal, passionate fanbase. Who knows, maybe I'll be sending those emails one day.

Kansas City Chiefs with a big assist from their 12th man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear your thoughts on who is the right (or wrong) team for me. In order to keep SWF family friendly, please avoid the use of profanity.