Thursday, February 11, 2010

Quarterfinals: Arizona Cardinals vs Tennessee Titans

2.  Arizona Cardinals vs. 7. Tennessee Titans

Let's be honest, the Cardinals have established themselves as the popular choice among the millions across the nation who debate which team I will pick every morning. They gave quite possibly the perfect answer to my letter, keeping it personal but plentiful. Still, as I've said since the beginning, this wasn't about getting free stuff or who would send the best package, but it certainly doesn't hurt…

Arizona Cardinals

Pros
  • By far the best and most personal response from any team to date.
  • Phoenix - a great city with guaranteed perfect weather.
  • Larry Fitzgerald. Not just one of the best receivers in the NFL, but one of the best guys. You have to cheer for this guy
  • Oh, and this
Cons
  • So Kurt Warner retired, which leaves Matt Leinart at the helm…anyone nervous?
  • Their history involves a whole lot of losing
  • A pretty fair-weather fanbase, except they don't always show up when the team is winning
Tennessee Titans

Pros -
  • Nashville - An awesome city only a couple of hours away.
  • Chris Johnson's uncanny resemblance to Lil Wayne
  • The appeal of finally cheering for the local favorite pro team
  • Again, - Bud Adams' middle finger
Cons -
  • Blue on blue uniforms? Is a little contrast so wrong?
  • Sometimes, it's more fun to be the one guy NOT cheering for the local guys
  • It's widely expected if the Titans underachieve this year, Fisher is out. He's been the only coach in Nashville, so who knows what things will look at if that were to happen 
The Verdict:

At the beginning of the contest, I would have put the Titans among the favorites in this search. The appeal of having a team in Nashville spoke to me as I thought about the $200 I have to fork up for NBA League Pass to follow the Lakers or XM Radio to listen to Vin Scully and the Dodgers. Location has always been the Titans trump card, but it's just not enough.

Like the Falcons, the Titans have been a local team for a while, but it just hasn't stuck with me. I even had the chance to get in on the ground floor when the team relocated from Houston, but I just wasn't interested. That hasn't changed. Convenience should never be the reason to give away your heart.

Arizona moves on…

1 comment:

  1. I have a feeling it's going to be Ravens vs Cards for some reason, haha. I think they're both worthwhile teams. They both have their pluses and are pretty even across the board. Allow me to simply say this.

    In regards to the cities: It doesn't seem like you have a very good feeling about Baltimore. It doesn't get better than the Inner Harbor ( right next to the stadium) plus you've got cities like Philly, NY, and DC right there. I'm sure Phoenix is a nice city, but outside of that... is miles of sand. So don't discount Baltimore cause you might think it's a bad location.

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear your thoughts on who is the right (or wrong) team for me. In order to keep SWF family friendly, please avoid the use of profanity.