Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Round 1: Kansas City Chiefs vs. Buffalo Bills (a.k.a. the Battle of the Little Guys)

8. Kansas City Chiefs vs. 9. Buffalo Bills

These two teams have a lot in common. They both represent smaller markets, they both have extremely passionate fan-bases, and they're two of the best destinations for tailgating in the league. The similarities don't end there. Right now, neither team is very good at football. They've both recognized this fact and have started to make strides to correct that problem. The Chiefs by cleaning house last year and bringing in some good young talent. The Bills in the last few weeks, culminating today with the hiring of (drumroll please...) Chan Gailey.

If you asked me at the beginning of this search, these weren't two teams I would have predicted to find itself in the final 12. What I wasn't expecting was the passionate and persuasive e-mails and comments from both fan-bases. No teams' fans have stated their teams' cases as effectively as these two, which makes it a little tough to see them matched up in the 1st round. But neither of these teams are strangers to tough luck, so maybe it shouldn't be a surprise.

Kansas City Chiefs

Pros -
- Incredibly loyal/passionate fan-base with some persuasive e-mails
- Kansas City BBQ (ok, I've never had it (I mean, I've had BBQ, just not KC), but I've heard good things.
- Somewhat personalized team response
- Sharp uniforms
- Good young talent with a bright future

Cons -
- Kansas City isn't exactly a hot tourist destination
- Outside of a run in the 90's, the team has struggled since 1969
- A surprisingly long drive from Birmingham
- Constant confusion over whether the team is located in Kansas or Missouri

Buffalo Bills

Pros -
- The first team to send a response to the letter
- The most emails/comments/bribes of any fan-base
- I love buffalo wings. I'm kind of a soft and don't go for the really hot ones, but I enjoy a solid medium or the occasional honey bbq.
- No threat of being accused of "jumping on the bandwagon"
- Leading vote-getter in the fan vote

Cons -
- Buffalo. Not the easiest city to get to and not exactly a tourist attraction.
- The weather.
- They're bad. And while Chan Gailey is an underrated coach, the hire doesn't exactly have anyone dancing in the streets.
- A reputation for breaking hearts

The Verdict
This may be the toughest choice of the first round. There are good reasons for both teams (very few of which relate to their actual on the field product). I want to keep the Bills around. They were the first team to respond. Their fans made the most noise. They're winning the poll. On the other hand, the Chiefs fans have been just as vocal and passionate. Their response, while not as swift as the Bills, was a little more personal. They're struggling in the fan vote, but the majority of those votes were cast very early when the Bills were one of only 2 teams that had responded (the Lions were the other, which explains why they actually got 225 votes).

So with that said, what does this come down to? Well, it's a case of which fanbase I could see myself a part of on Sundays. Both groups tailgate early and have filled the stadium for some bad teams, but there's just something about the sea of red at Arrowhead on Sundays. Bills fans, you've been absolutely great and you got me excited about this search from the get-go with your numerous emails and comments. For a team that gets no national love and ignored all too often, I was blown away by your passion. But, at the end of the day, I just don't think I'm cut out for those Buffalo winters.

Kansas City in a nail-biter...

4 comments:

  1. Agree, I'd have chosen the Chiefs as well. However, I think this is all moot. You'll probably end up picking the Cardinals.

    Also, now Packers vs. Chiefs? I think you go Pack easily. The Green Bay fanbase is a very tough one to simply "insert" yourself into. You'd seem like a gigantic poser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant I think you go Chiefs easily, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you picked the Chief's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gotta be impressed with the coaching additions. stick with kc!

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear your thoughts on who is the right (or wrong) team for me. In order to keep SWF family friendly, please avoid the use of profanity.