Thursday, January 14, 2010

At the End of the Day... - Intangibles

So we're almost done. I've ranked the teams on a number of categories, attempting to be as unbiased and objective as possible. Still, I needed to leave myself a little wiggle-room for the gut feelings and the "just because". That's what this category is. The intangibles. I don't have to justify, defend, or give a reason for any of these. They are what they are. This wraps up the scoring, which means the next step is to set the playoff brackets, which means a couple of teams are getting the boot. Check back later for the next steps.

AFC

Baltimore Ravens - I've never liked the Ravens. Don't ask why, I just didn't. But they're a team I've found myself liking more and more as I've "gotten to know them" throughout this process. Plus, how can an Alabama grad not love Ozzie Newsome at GM? I still think the 30 for 30 documentary was the best thing that happened to the Ravens chances in this.

11/15

Buffalo Bills - They were the first team to respond, and so far the most vocal of the fanbases. They appear to be the winner of the poll as well. They're not the easiest team to follow afar, but they've done their part to pitch their case.

14/15

Denver Broncos - They're the only cold-weather team that might be able to use the snow as an advantage. A great excuse to get to the mountains of Colorado in the wintertime, but I may need a loan.

12/15

Pittsburgh Steelers - The Steelers seem so logical that they're almost too logical. That might be the biggest problem with them is that they've been the easy pick for lots of casual NFL fans. Still, there's a lot to like with this franchise.

10/15

Indianapolis Colts - They're a fairly safe pick here. Not a polarizing city, consistent over the last decade, nice new stadium, and sharp colors. Still, what happens post-Peyton? And he's still a Tennessee grad isn't he?

8/15

Miami Dolphins - I know they're the only residents of Perfectville, but they're a little obnoxious about it aren't they. Hard to align with Mercury Morris at this point. The current team is exciting and fun to watch, however.

7/15

Kansas City Chiefs - The Chiefs have been in the Bottom 10 basically every week, but I can't pull the trigger on them. They've got a small town, close-knit feel and a great fan-base. I just can't quit them (yet).

13/15

San Diego Chargers - There's no L.A. team to choose, but there is a So-Cal one, and I was reminded this weekend how great So-Cal is. The Bolts would be an excuse to get to an In-N-Out Burger.

11/15

Tennessee Titans - I'm getting a lot of sentiment locally to go with the nearby Titans. I must admit, it'd be nice to finally root for a pro team that's only a short drive away, and the future looks bright with Young and Johnson. But, like the Falcons, shouldn't they have hooked me a long time ago?

9/15


NFC

Green Bay Packers - Love everything about the team, except the cold. Don't get me wrong, Lambeau is on the bucket list, but can I in good conscience cheer for a team from the comfort of a mild Alabama winter while the rest of the fans sit in single-digit temps?

9/15

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - The Bucs haven't been much to write home about outside of the Dungy/Gruden eras, so taking them on is a risk. Still, great uniforms in a great city to visit that isn't too far is appealing.

8/15

Washington Redskins - So some things have changed since the last rankings, with the future slightly more certain with Shanahan. Still, it's the same owner...

7/15

San Francisco 49ers - Love the coach, love the tradition, but as I was reminded in an email from a lovely 49ers fans, once the other 49er fans find out I am a Dodgers/Lakers fan, they're gonna hate me.

6/15

Arizona Cardinals - Honestly, at this point, what more can these guys do?

15/15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear your thoughts on who is the right (or wrong) team for me. In order to keep SWF family friendly, please avoid the use of profanity.